To most people, teeth are pretty simple: bone with a root and protective enamel, but there are so many interesting facts about dentistry that you probably didn’t know. Those little pearly whites are the center of many little-known facts both cool and downright weird: Here’s some of them:
- A tooth that is knocked out will survive for about 15 minutes; you can make them last longer by putting them in a glass of milk or holding them in your mouth.
- 1/3 of your teeth is hidden beneath your gums!
- A mosquito has 47 teeth!
- 51 million hours are lost in school due to dental problems, so make sure your kids are taken care of!
- The average human makes enough saliva to fill two swimming pools in their lifetime!
- American shoppers buy 14 million gallons of toothpaste a year!
- Before tooth paste, people would use chalk, lemon juice, and charcoal to clean their teeth!
- Your teeth enamel is the hardest substance in your entire body!
- On average people only spend 48 seconds brushing their teeth. You should be spending two to three minutes!
- A toilet can spew water 6ft away, so keep your toothbrush at a good distance!
- In Medieval Germany, the cure to a toothache was to kiss a donkey!
- 50% of people surveyed say that the first thing they notice in another person is their smile!
- A dentist helped to invent the cotton candy machine!
There are so many more interesting facts that we could go over, but I’ve chewed up enough of your time (pun intended)! If you want to know more applicable dental tips, check out some of our other blogs, or better yet, schedule an appointment and have our dentists answer your questions in person! Whatever you choose, don’t forget your check up!