Though the majority of us try our best to take care of our teeth, we often get into bad habits that we either weren’t aware were a problem or got just a little bit lazy about fixing. These oral health mishaps can lead to bigger dental issues however and leave us with the consequences of unhealthy teeth and gums. Avoid these oral health mistakes for the better dental health:
- Brushing before breakfast. If you perform your morning routine of brushing rinsing and flossing before you eat, you’re pretty much nullifying any good you just did. Eat, then clean.
- Never changing your toothbrush. Bristles wear out and stop doing their job effectively. Spring for a new toothbrush every three months.
- Brushing too hard and too often. Grinding on your teeth won’t get them any cleaner and you’re doing more harm than good by damaging tooth enamel and gum tissue.
- Ignoring bleeding gums. Gingivitis is a widespread problem and can cause tooth loss. Make sure to get to the dentist if you are spitting pink into the sink.
- Chewing on ice. Ice can cause microscopic fractures in the tooth enamel which, over time, can wear down your teeth and even cause a tooth to break.
Of course, one of the worst oral health mistakes people make is not visiting their dentist often enough. As a top-rated local® dentist in Sterling we take the oral health of our patients very seriously and strive to make sure that each and every one of them have a reason to smile. Schedule your next appointment with our Sterling family dentist at (703) 433-0234.