If you’re over dealing with the pain and embarrassment of missing teeth, and fed up with the discomfort and messy maintenance of dentures, perhaps it’s time to look into dental implants. Deciding if implants are right for you is actually fairly simple. They’re the closest thing to the feel, look and functionality of natural teeth that dental science has to offer. But before you take what can be a very big step, investing what could be a fair amount of money and undergoing a lengthy and somewhat painful procedure, make sure to take the time to do your due diligence. Research your options and interview more than one cosmetic dentist before jumping in. You’ll hopefully be living with your implants for many decades, so take your time making a decision. Make sure to ask your dentist in Sterling the following questions when considering dental implants:
- Do you surgical stents or guides? Surgical stents are the new and preferred method.
- Do you use 3D x-ray imaging? This newer technology helps the dental team know just where to place the implant and if there is sufficient bone for implant placement.
- How much experience do you have placing dental implants? Of course, the more experience the better chance of successful and desirable results.
- What is your success rate for placing implants? You’ll want to know how successful is the prospective dentist is at this procedure. With newer techniques and innovative equipment, your dentist should have a higher success rate in the last five years than the years previous.
- How many surgeries will be required? Make sure to get more than one opinion regarding the number of procedures.
- Will you sedate me? Do you use IV conscious sedation or oral sedation?
- What is the timeline for loading the implants? Some dentists or oral surgeons load the implants the same day, many wait up to four or six months, some load them at intervals. Find out how your situation will determine the process.